A copper roof patina adds unique character and charm to a home. It’s a beautiful rustic design element that’s becoming increasingly popular in the United States. If you have a copper roof and want a unique patina to cover it, this blog is for you.
At RST Roofing and Renovations, we are passionate about creative home improvement projects and want to share our knowledge and expertise with all homeowners! Through this blog, we’ll help you discover some easy ways to create and maintain a gorgeous patina on your existing copper roof and learn how to preserve the stunning look for years to come.
The Science Behind Copper Roof Patina
To create a copper patina for your roof, it’s helpful to understand the science behind this phenomenon, how it affects a copper roof, and what kind of patina you want to create.
What Is A Copper Patina?
A patina is a thin layer that forms on the surface of an aged copper product, including roofs made of copper. The layer is formed when copper is exposed to air, water, and other elements, which causes it to undergo different chemical reactions. A patina gives a copper roof a distinctive, eye-catching appearance marked by shades of red, brown, blue, and green. Additionally, you’d be surprised to know that this is not just a color thing.
What Does A Patina Do Besides Change The Color Of Copper?
This layer shields the copper underneath from corrosion and weather damage. It’s a natural way in which copper protects itself from wear and tear over time. Patina is one of the reasons why copper roofs can last for up to a century without many repairs! However, a patina requires environmental exposure of several months to a few years before it develops on the surface of the copper.
How Long Does It Take For A Copper Roof To Naturally Develop A Patina?
It takes around 4 months to 14 years for a copper roof to develop a patina that changes the roof’s color completely. The copper roof patina process depends on several factors, such as climate, air pollutants, and the quality of the copper itself. However, it’s possible to expedite the process yourself by following a few procedures.
Did you know that there are different shades of a patina that can form on a copper roof? So, you’ll first need to decide what type of patina you want for your copper roof.
The Beauty Of Different Copper Patina Colors: Which One Will You Choose?
Copper roofs reap numerous benefits, and its patina is one of them. From rustic brown shades to the classic green look, you have options to choose from. If you want something unique, you can also mix and match different shades for a multi-colored copper roof.
The Brown & Black Shades
Dark brown and black hues are sought-after by many homeowners as it matches well with light-colored siding and creates a warm and inviting tone to a roof. The darker shades appear when the copper reacts with oxygen to form copper oxide. It takes 4 months to develop and about 10 years to reach its full potential.
The Timeless Blue-Green
This is the most classic patina color, which can make a house look like a charming antique abode. Its blue-green hue is created by the interaction of copper oxide with carbon dioxide and water in the atmosphere. You may notice this bright shade naturally after 15 years, but it can take up to 40 years to fully develop.
The type of patina you choose for your copper roof will reflect your taste and style. Whether you prefer blue-green shades or brown and black, make sure it compliments the rest of your exterior colors. So, how to get a blue-green patina on copper roofs? There are several ways and products to help speed up the patina process. Let’s get into the details.
How Do You Get A Desired Copper Roof Patina Quickly?
To get a classic patina color, it’s best to use commercial products. There are many patina accelerator solutions developed by industrial manufacturers, such as JAX, Modern Masters, Basic Copper, and Triangle Coatings, among others.
- These products contain a mixture of chemicals that can speed up the aging process and create a blue-green, brown, or black patina on your copper roof. The time span to develop a patina is reduced to just a few hours or days after application, depending on how well the coat is done and how powerful the solution is.
- Alternatively, you can create your own solution at home from water and ammonia or vinegar and salt to get the green-blue color. For a black and brown patina, you can mix copper sulfate with water, but remember that the results may not be as good or quick as commercial products.
However, it’s not safe to do all this by yourself if you aren’t an expert or don’t have the right people to help you. Plus, you’ll have to do a lot of shopping, buying several bottles of solution or powders, safety gear, and painting equipment to cover your roof, which can be dangerous and increases your copper roofing costs dramatically! That’s why it’s best to leave it to the professionals.
Why You Should Leave It To The Pros
You can hire a reliable and reputable roofing contractor to do everything for you, which will be quicker, more cost-effective, and flawless. Additionally, if you make a mistake during a DIY, you may have to spend even more money to correct it.
- Using chemical treatments on your roof can harm you, your roof, and your surroundings. The chemicals can cause skin irritation and are dangerous to animals, vegetation, and other parts of your exterior. Also, climbing a roof and working on it to apply chemicals isn’t recommended by the state, or the experts if you’re not a licensed roofer.
- Attempting to create a patina on your own can result in an uneven and unsatisfactory finish. You may not be able to achieve the color you desire, or the patina may be patchy and inconsistent. Professional roofing contractors have the experience and expertise to achieve the desired patina color that will last for years.
- If you want to enjoy a stunning and long-lasting patina on your copper roof, it’s best to hire a reliable and reputable local roofing contractor. They’ll give you a pretty, long-lasting, and economical result.
For homeowners living in Georgia, we offer free consultations and estimates on your roofing projects. Reach out to us if you need our guidance or services to create a beautiful copper roof patina.
We Can Create A Stunning Patina For Your Copper Roof!
At RST Roofing and Renovations, we pride ourselves on delivering exceptional results for every roofing job, big or small. Our skilled experts have years of experience and deep knowledge about the beautiful patterns one can create with a copper roof patina. We can also suggest siding colors for your copper roof to make it stand out even more.
Countless homeowners in Atlanta and surrounding areas in Georgia trust our creative and fair roofing services. What sets us apart from other roofing contractors is our commitment to providing our clients with personalized and honest service. We take the time to listen to your needs, and we work with you every step of the way to ensure that you get what you pay for.
If you trust our team at RST Roofing and Renovations, we promise to deliver stunning results that will exceed your expectations. Call us at (404)-548-8901 for a free consultation and roof quote.