Do you need new shingles or even a new roof for your home? If you do, you must have many questions and concerns going on in your mind. One of those questions would be: how long does it take for asphalt shingles to seal?
This is a common question among homeowners who know the basics of asphalt shingles. Unfortunately, the answer isn’t as simple as the question. The time frame varies according to the weather and temperature outside your home.
So our roofing experts answer this question and solve any doubts on shingle installation. After you finish reading this article, you will find out:
- When the shingles would seal on your roof
- The best time to install shingles
- Tips for emergency installation
So to begin, we will explain the first concern that brings you here, and we will explain how long it takes for shingles to seal and other relevant facts.
When Do Shingles Seal Completely?
Homeowners often complain about brand-new roof shingles not laying flat. This means that the shingles did not seal properly. People usually face this issue when the shingles are installed during unsuitable weather conditions.
The sealing of the shingles depends on the weather and temperature outside your home. Shingle strips have an integrated layer that seals automatically when the temperature is warm enough. During summers, you can expect the shingles to settle within a week of installation.
- According to roofing experts, a shingle will seal quickly when the temperature remains between 70 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 40 degrees is the minimum temperature to install an asphalt shingle roof. Any temperature lower than that and the shingles may not seal properly.
- Shingles can stick together properly when the temperature remains above 40 degrees for at least two days straight.
That’s why we advise homeowners to install shingles when it’s warm and dry outside. Typically, the best time to install roofing shingles is during summer. But what should you do if there’s an emergency? What if your roof falls apart when it’s rainy or snowy outside?
What Happens When You Install Shingles During The Winter Or A Monsoon?
It’s not ideal to install shingles when the temperature falls below 40 degrees. However, if your roof falls apart, you may have no other choice. You can’t depend on a tarp for months, and you may need a few repairs or replacements as soon as possible.
- When you install shingles in cold weather, they may become fragile or loose. To avoid this, roofing contractors use special adhesives to seal the shingles.
- Many homeowners also wonder how long it takes for asphalt shingles to seal during winters? According to the experts, the shingles may seal within a month or two after installation.
- Most roofing contractors avoid shingle installation when it’s raining. That’s why we are always up-to-date with weather forecasts.
- On a rainy day, water can sneak in while you remove and install roofing materials. It will affect the sealing of the shingles and can also reach your attic and sheathing.
If you live in a state like Georgia, you are lucky! In winter, the temperature generally doesn’t drop below 40 degrees. Talking to the local roofing professionals and monitoring the weather is key to a flawless roof installation.
Installing New Shingles? Talk To The Experts For Free!
If you are wondering how long it takes for asphalt shingles to seal, our roofing experts will be happy to explain to you in more detail. At RST Roofing and Renovations, we offer free consultations and roof inspections in Decatur, GA.
Hundreds of property owners trust us, and as a team, we take pride in being the most reliable roofing contractors in the area. If you live near Atlanta, GA, or the surrounding regions, our experts can advise you on any roofing matter and install new shingles perfectly on your roof.
We hope you will feel more confident and satisfied after talking to our knowledgeable and friendly team. If you think we can help you, call us at (404) 548-8901.